In 2020, the total number of fatalities caused by traffic accidents was 2,839, the lowest since the National Rural Police, the predecessor of the NPA, started compiling traffic statistics under the current formula in 1948. Total numbers of traffic accidents and persons injured have declined over the past sixteen years.
The police analyze traffic accidents precisely and place emphasis on enforcement against vicious and serious violations, resulting in grave accidents including fatal ones, such as unlicensed driving, driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol, serious speeding violations and ignoring traffic signals. The police also focus on illegal parking and reckless driving by motorcycle gangs (Bosozoku).
Traffic Accident Information
- Traffic Safety Guidelines (for Pedestrians and Cyclists) (6MB) [Published: September 2, 2011]
- Traffic Lights and Road Signs（466KB）[Published: March 31, 2021]
- Safety driving in Japan(animation)(Link to the International Association of Traffic and Safety Science website)
- Eradication of Drinking and Driving (83KB)Opens in a PDF file
- Stop Using Your Smartphone, Cellphone, etc., While Driving! (81KB)Opens in a PDF file
- Fasten Your Seat Belt Wherever You Are Seated (100KB)Opens in a PDF file
- Child Seats Save Children (94KB)Opens in a PDF file
- Prevention of Traffic Accidents at Sundown (148KB)Opens in a PDF file
- Pedestrians First at Road Crossings (113KB) Opens in a PDF file
- What to Do in the Event of a Traffic Accident (81KB)Opens in a PDF file
- What to Do in the Event of a Major Earthquake (75KB)Opens in a PDF file
- What to Do in Case of Vehicle Trouble, etc. (78KB)Opens in a PDF file
Traffic Rules[Other languages]
- 致在日驾车的各位外籍来客(283KB) [Published: March 13, 2020]
- 일본에서 운전하는 외국인 운전자 여러분께(376KB) [Published: March 13, 2020]
- A tous les conducteurs étrangers qui roulent au Japon
An alle ausländischen Kraftfahrer/innen, die in Japan fahren
Dành cho tài xế người nước ngoài lái xe tại Nhật Bản(356KB) [Published: March 13, 2020]
- 请遵守交规 Enjoy Japan [Published: January 31, 2021]
- 법규를 지키며 Enjoy Japan [Published: January 31, 2021]
- die Verkehrsregeln einhalten Viel Spa ßin Japan [Published: January 31, 2021]
- Respectez les règles Enjoy Japan [Published: January 31, 2021]
- Tuân thủ quy định Enjoy Japan [Published: January 31, 2021]
- GUIA de SEGURANCA de TRANSITO no JAPAO(para Pedestres e Usuarios de Bicicletas) (6MB) [Published: September 2, 2011]
- (6MB) [Published: September 2, 2011]
- 我想知道！⽇本的交通規則）[Published: March 26, 2012]
- Conhecendo as regras de trânsito no Japão[Published:March 26, 2012]
The police are responsible for driver's license administration. As of the end of 2019, 82,158,428 persons possess driver's licenses.
Driver's licenses are valid for five years unless drivers are novice drivers, have committed traffic violations or caused traffic accidents, or are 70 years of age or older.
At the time of renewal, drivers are required to undergo training according to their respective records of traffic violations and accidents.
Drivers who are 70 years of age or older, are required to undergo training for elderly drivers at the time of renewal. Additionally, drivers who are 75 years of age or older are required to undergo a cognitive assessment in advance. Based on the assessment, elderly drivers will be assigned to undergo the most appropriate training. Further measures can be taken for elderly drivers who show cognitive impairment.
The police can promptly revoke or suspend licenses of drivers who committed serious traffic violations or caused accidents, and require them to undergo additional training.
For Holders of Foreign Driver’s Licenses[English]
- List of Contracting States,etc.,to the Geneva Convention [Published:April 20,2021]
For Holders of Foreign Driver’s Licenses[Other language]
- 持外国驾照者（可在日本驾车的方法 / 取得日本驾照的方法）(216KB) [Published: April 1, 2020]
- Las personas que tienen una licencia de conducir extranjera (Modo de conducir en Japón / Modo de obtener la licencia japonesa)(451KB) [Published: April 1, 2020]
- Pemilik SIM Luar Negeri (Cara mengemudi di Jepang / Cara memperoleh SIM Jepang)(232KB) [Published: April 1, 2020]
- ចំពោះអ្នកកាន់ប័ណ្ណបើកបរបរទេស (វិធីបើកបរនៅប្រទេសជប៉ុន / វិធីទទួលប័ណ្ណបើកបរជប៉ុន)(222KB) [Published: April 1, 2020]
- 외국 운전면허를 소지하신 분（일본에서 운전하는 방법 / 일본 면허를 취득하는 방법）(309KB) [Published: April 1, 2020]
- Гадаадын жолооны үнэмлэхтэй хүнд (Японд жолоо барих арга зам / Японы жолооны үнэмлэх авах арга)(250KB) [Published: April 1, 2020]
- ပြည်ပယာဉ်မောင်းလိုင်စင်ကိုင်ဆောင်ထားသူများ (ဂျပန်နိုင်ငံတွင်ယာဉ်မောင်းခြင်းနည်းလမ်း / ဂျပန်နိုင်ငံ၏ယာဉ်မောင်းလိုင်စင်ပြုလုပ်ခြင်းနည်းလမ်း）(593KB) [Published: April 1, 2020]
- विदेशी राष्ट्रको सवारी चालक अनुमतिपत्र भएको व्यक्तिहरूको लागि (जापानमा सवारी साधन चलाउने तरिका / जापानको सवारी चालक अनुमतिपत्र प्राप्त गर्ने तरिका)(1.4MB) [Published: April 1, 2020]
- Às pessoas com carteira de habilitação estrangeira (Como dirigir no Japão / Como obter a carteira de habilitação do Japão)(213KB) [Published: April 1, 2020]
- Para sa mga may hawak ng International Driving Permit(Pamamaraan ng pagmamaneho sa Japan / Paraan ng pagkuha ng lisensyang Hapon)(268KB) [Published: April 1, 2020]
- ผู้ที่มีใบอนุญาตขับขี่ของต่างประเทศ(วิธีขับรถยนต์ในประเทศญี่ปุ่น / วิธีขอรับใบอนุญาตขับขี่ประเทศญี่ปุ่น)(775KB) [Published: April 1, 2020]
- Những người có Giấy phép lái xe của nước ngoài(Cách thức lái xe tại Nhật Bản / Phương pháp để có được Giấy phép lái xe của Nhật Bản)(340KB) [Published: April 1, 2020]
Cognitive Function Test for Senior Drivers
To support the continuation of safe driving, it has become obligatory for drivers who are 75 years old or older to take the Cognitive Assessment prior to the elderly drivers training. Each (such) driver is to take appropriate training according to the test results. The test can be taken for the six months before the expiration of the driving license renewal period.
The Cognitive Assessment for Senior Drivers is a paper test to measure adequacy of a driver’s cognitive functions for driving. The assessment consists of a) temporal orientation, b) cued recall, and c) clock drawing test (CDT). The whole process of testing, marking and notice of results takes approximately 30 minutes. No preparation is needed as the trained examiners will guide the examinees through the process. Based on the test results, driver’s cognitive functions are categorized as impaired, slightly impaired or unimpaired.
Sample English versions of the Cognitive Assessment sheet and the guidance are downloadable from here.
Test Sheets (23KB) [Published: April 1, 2020]
Guidance (pattern A) (214KB) [Published: April 1, 2020]
Guidance (pattern B) (173KB) [Published: April 1, 2020]
Guidance (pattern C) (249KB) [Published: April 1, 2020]
Guidance (pattern D) (228KB) [Published: April 1, 2020]
How the Test was Scored (16KB) [Published: April 1, 2020]